Wednesday, February 6, 2013

HyperLocal News Project

So this is the second of three project brainstorming posts related to the Systems Analysis / Software Engineering class I'm teaching this semester.  I've been pondering about a hyperlocal news system for a number of years: http://linklens.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=maps and I guess I should be contacting a local news organization like the Harrow Observer to see if I can't get some geocoded local news data from them

Problem Description:

Local residents may not know what is going on around them.  They may have a general idea from newspapers, tv news etc., but there is something about a map overlay to really highlight where things are happening nearby

System Capabilities:

  • Provide a list of news items on a map of the local area
  • Support discussion of those news items by local residents
Benefits
  • Increased community engagement in local stories
  • Promote local news outlets



No comments: